Tuesday, February 5, 2008

This Is Such A Shame

Is there any difference between the Vietnamese Chinese New Year and Chinese Chinese New Year?

How is the Chinese Calender different from the 'Western' Calender?


I felt sooo shameful for not being able to give my fellow non-chinese coursemates a definite answer to the above questions when they asked me today.

'I don't think there's any difference, the only difference will probably be how we celebrate it', thats all I said. It should be the same isnt it? Now they really made me think, if the reason behind celebrating CNY is the same throughout. Hmm.

And the calender bit reallly caught me, other than the 1st and the 15th of every month we'll see full moon and CNY's eve is on the 31st (or is it 30th?, OMG, I'm confusing myself now, mum why you never tell us how did chinese calender come about?) and we will get all the red packets on the 1st, I know shit bout it!

I shall check with my mum when I call home tomorrow. =p

update: apparently, there's only either 29 or 30 days per month in chinese calender. So, CNY's eve is the 30th not 31st. Can I dig myself a hole?

No comments: