Sunday, March 2, 2008

My Blueberry Nights


'Sometimes even if you have the keys, those doors still can't be opened, can they?' she says.

'Even if the door is open, the person you're looking for may not be there.' he replied.


So I finally watched it. My Blueberry Nights.

It's 'bout heart break and new beginning. To be honest, it didn't quite get to me in the beginning, the lurid neons, the flashing subway trains, the silence, it took me a while to blend into the soul of the characters, and all of a sudden, every bits become so visually ravishing. Very reflective.

It is very different from the fairy-tale like love movie I used to watch. It is rather mopey and downbeat, which I don't really fancy, if given a choice. It aches your heart with fruitless desires. The whole movie created a feel like a half-remembered dream that refuses to be forgetten. It smoulders in the imagination. Very potent.

The shot is exquisite thou. I particularly liked the close-up bit of sleeping Elizabeth's lips, moistured, slightly parted and coated in a tiny drizzle of cake, almost invites you to reach forward and lick them. And Wong Kar Wai did a bloody good job in marking an end to the story, it left me feeling all tingling inside, ticklish, giving me such butterfly sensation in my stomach.

I'm sure it will evoke a burning desire between couples who're watching it.
Where are you.

No comments: